Tuesday, 19 July 2011

Latest Football News 19/07/2011

 
Liverpool fear Luis Suarez may not be available for the start of the new season because of his Copa America commitments. 

The 24-year-old has played a key role in Uruguay's run to the Copa America semi-finals but his country's unexpected success could now delay his return to Liverpool for pre-season training.

Should Uruguay go all the way in the Copa America it would leave Suzarez with only a three-week break before the start of the new Premier League campaign next month.

Liverpool coach Steve Clarke has insisted the club are prepared for any late arrivals, of the belief the size of their squad is sufficient to cope.

"Now in football you just have to accept that different countries and different continents have different have their own tournaments and their own times," he said.

"It's up to the boys to go there and do their best for their countries.
"When they come back we'll assess them fitness wise, physically and mentally, then we'll decide how we fit them into our training schedule.

"If they are ready to start the season, fine. But if they need a bit of time to recover, that's why you have a big squad. It will give other people a chance."

......................................................................................................................................................................

Aston Villa have announced the signing of Shay Given from Manchester City after the goalkeeper agreed a five-year contract. 

Villa and new boss Alex McLeish have been looking for a replacement for Brad Friedel following the veteran American's move to Tottenham.

Given quickly emerged as the prime target due to the Republic of Ireland international's limited opportunities at City, where Joe Hart became Roberto Mancini's first choice.

The 35-year-old has consequently been holding talks at Villa's Bodymoor Heath training ground over the past few days and he could now make his debut against Walsall on Thursday.

A statement on the club's official website read: "Aston Villa are delighted to confirm that Shay Given will be unveiled tomorrow (Tuesday) as the club's new goalkeeper, having agreed a five-year deal to June 2016.
"The 35-year-old Republic of Ireland international completed a medical over the weekend and the formality of his signing this morning.

"He will be available for Thursday's friendly fixture against Walsall at the Banks's Stadium and for the club's participation in the Barclays Asia Trophy next week."

Given, who City signed for £7million from Newcastle in 2009, is relishing his new career at Villa and is looking forward to a return to first-team football.

"Aston Villa is a huge football club and I'm really excited to be joining," he said.
"I'm looking forward to training and playing with the players here. They're a good bunch of lads, very talented and I know several of them already which will help.

"Everyone knows that I didn't play enough football last season, so I'm really pleased that I'll be able to put that right here. Hopefully, this move will get me back to where I was before in the Premier League, which is where every player wants to be playing.

"Obviously, I'm also excited to be working with Alex McLeish and it's going to be a fresh start for everybody at the club this season.

"It's also a new challenge and one I'm eager to embrace. My aim is to impress the Aston Villa supporters with my performances and I can't wait really to get started."

Villa manager McLeish said: "Shay has come here probably with something of a point to prove and that won't do any harm at all.

"Everybody who has watched him perform over many years in the Premier League will know his pedigree, so we believe we have secured the services of one of the best goalkeepers in the business.

"He's a real competitor and a world-class keeper and I'm delighted he's the first signing I've made at Villa."

......................................................................................................................................................................

Sir Alex Ferguson is expecting Manchester City to be 'a thorn in the flesh' of his title-chasing Manchester United side this season. 

Both teams are setting lofty targets for 2011/12, with the Premier League title race set to be as competitive as it has been for some time.

City and United will be looking to lead the charge, but the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool will all expect to be in the running.

Ferguson acknowledges that defending champions United have their work cut out in their pursuit of top flight crown number 20, especially as neighbours City have emerged as realistic challengers for major honours since Sheikh Mansour's takeover of the club and subsequent heavy investment in the squad.

He said: "There was a period not so long ago when City were actually in the second division and they were never a thorn in our flesh.


"Whereas every year in the past we've had to contend with Arsenal, Chelsea or Liverpool.

"But winning a trophy does you a power of good. I don't think there's any doubt about that. It takes the pressure off the manager and gives confidence to the players.

"We've experienced it ourselves over the years and we expect City to be challengers next season.
"But nothing changes. One of the teams will always be a thorn in our flesh, whether we like it or not - possibly all four of them."

Ferguson also believes that Liverpool, who have endured a difficult time of late, will be back to their best under Kenny Dalglish this season.

He added: "Liverpool went off the radar for a bit. They are now back on it.
"Long term you know they are going to there."


The challenge of keeping United at the top of the pile continues to motivate Ferguson and he insists he has given no thought to stepping down from his Old Trafford hot-seat - as he prepares to pass the 25-year mark in that particular position.

"Absolutely not," said the experienced Scot, when asked if he had any imminent retirement plans.

"Not at all. I'm not even thinking about it. You just have to keep going.

"The challenge, whether it's with young players or old players, is that you have to do something. There's always that expectation at this club."

 .....................................................................................................................................................................
Gervinho has expressed his delight at securing a move to Arsenal, allowing him to fulfil a childhood dream.
The Ivory Coast international has penned a four-year contract with the Gunners at the end of a protracted summer transfer saga.

His switch from Lille dragged on longer than planned, but Arsene Wenger has got his man and Gervinho is looking forward to testing himself against the Premier League elite.

The 24-year-old forward told L'Equipe: "I am so happy. Negotiations lasted a long time because there were several details which needed to be sorted out between the two clubs.

"But finally Lille and Arsenal found an agreement and I am experiencing a real happiness. It is a dream that has come true.


"The most difficult thing for me was leaving (Lille boss) Rudi Garcia. He still needed me and I still needed him. But in football there are some things that you cannot turn down.

"I have dreamt about Arsenal since I was a kid, since my time in Jean-Marc Guillou's academy in the Ivory Coast. I have always dreamt of playing for the team where Patrick Vieira was so strong. He was one of my idols.

"Several clubs were interested in me and I never closed any doors. I listened, but I really wanted to discover the Premier League."

Gervinho added: "Are Arsenal an ill club? I don't believe they are. They have just experienced some difficult moments, losing key matches. Anyway, an illness can be cured.

"I will play on the right flank, my best position, but the coach knows I can play on the left or down the centre. I will try to be as efficient as I was at Lille."

......................................................................................................................................................................


Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has warned Aston Villa they will have to pay £10million to land Charles N'Zogbia. 

Villa have seen their first bid of £9million for N'Zogbia rejected by Wigan as they line up the Frenchman as a replacement for Stewart Downing.

Whelan is reluctant to lose N'Zogbia, who he rates as the best left-winger in the Premier League, but concedes they will sell him for the right offer of £10million.

"It's £10m or there is no deal," Whelan told the Daily Mirror. "They offered us £9m and we refused it; firstly because we would like to keep Charles, and secondly because if he is to go, then we have to get the right price for him.


"Charles has played fantastically well in the last year and, with his pace and penetration, there's no doubt in my mind that he is the finest left-winger in the Premier League.

"We owe him a lot, not least for his goal against West Ham that helped us stay up.

"If the right offer comes in, we would consider it, if it was in his best interests - but it has to be the right offer."


......................................................................................................................................................................

Antonio Valencia's agent has played down rumours linking Juventus with a move for the Manchester United winger. 

Reports in Italy have suggested Juve have targeted a move for Valencia as they look to bolster their squad for next season.

Valencia has established himself as a key member of the United side after recovering from a serious ankle injury last season to help Sir Alex Ferguson's side claim the Premier League title.

The Ecuadorian's agent, Diego Herrera, claims there has been interest from Italy and Spain in Valencia, but that the winger is happy to stay at Old Trafford.

"Juventus? They are just rumours," Herrera told TMW. "There has been interest from Italy and Spain, but not anything concrete.

"The player also has another four years on his contract at Manchester, a place where he is very happy."

......................................................................................................................................................................

Frank Lampard insists Chelsea are not concerned by the spending of some of their rivals. 

Manchester United and Liverpool have spent major money this summer whilst Manchester City and Arsenal are starting to move in the market.

But Lampard insists Chelsea's squad is not in need of major surgery as new boss Andre Villas-Boas mulls over his new charges.

"Manchester United, Liverpool and Man City have spent fortunes on good quality players but we are in a bit of a different situation in that we already had a very strong squad," he said.

"The manager wants to evaluate what he has got which is understandable and who knows whether we add or change, that is the manager's prerogative, but the great thing we have already is we believe in ourselves as we are.

"Whether the manager makes additions or changes or not, I think the squad is very strong to challenge.

"Whether Manchester United or any other team spends, we still believe in ourselves."

......................................................................................................................................................................


No comments: